Employees of the Tourism Promotions Board (TPB), a corporate body under the Department of Tourism (DOT), filed a complaint to the Presidential Action Center against their chief operating officer (COO) Cesar Montano.
The complainants indicated the irregularities allegedly committed by Montano. These are among his wrongful acts according to the letter:
– Inking a questionable multimillion deal with Carat Philippines, an independent media planning and buying specialist. According to the letter, COO Montano entered into an eleven-million deal with the latter where he performed as a guest singer together with his nieces on January 18, 2017.
– Nepotism or hiring relatives and friends. Allegedly, Montano hired his own staff including his brother, Rommel Montano; a relative and a member of his household, whose functions are already being rendered by incumbent employees. He also hired staff on job orders, mostly his team which he maintains as actor including his stuntman, his gardener, among others, to have them salaried by the agency.
– Cash sponsorship to a rally for President Rodrigo Duterte. According to the letter, TPB had a cash sponsorship worth P16.5 million to a company that handled the production of the pro-Duterte rally staged last February 25 at the Luneta.
– Sponsoring a JaDine concert. The TPB under his leadership has allegedly entered a cash sponsorship worth P12 million of a concert overseas featuring James Reid and Nadine Lustre.
– Questionable travel. His brother, Rommel, and some of his hired staff, were always insisting they be included in Montano’s local and international travels. Furthermore, he did not provide travel iteniraries in some of his travels, which is a must for government officials traveling on official time. Most of his travels are not related to TPB’s functions but allegedly being charged to the office’s funds.
– Inappropriate acts. Allegedly, Montano brought a woman during a TPB-hosted familiarization tour for golfers from Taiwan, where he was seen caressing the woman’s thighs and exhibiting unpleasant acts. Moreover, the complaint also took note of Montano’s bad temper. Allegedly, he oftentimes exhibits change of behavior and shouting at his staff when he does not get what he wants. Accordingly, he locks his office and is being heard playing his guitar even during office hours.
– Delaying tactics. The complainants also said that Montano does not sign documents immediately, which results to delayed implementation of some projects and payment. “He does not know what to do,” the letter added.
The concerned TPB employees pointed out his lack of knowledge in government processes. They have “lost trust” to his leadership and urged for an immediate action to their letter of complaint.
Montano is yet to comment on the allegations thrown to him.
Montano, who is among the showbiz personalities who actively supported Duterte during his campaign, was appointed to the position in December last year.
Read the letter of complaint against Montano below: