A new witness, in the name of Edgar Matobato, surfaced yesterday during the senate’s investigation on extra-judicial killings. Matobato, who is a self-confessed member of the alleged Davao Death Squad (DDS) since the 1980’s, indicated President Rodrigo Duterte and his son, Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte as the mastermind behind the killings of criminals in Davao City.
Matobato has immediately became the subject of social media rants of netizens, as they have found out some irregularities in his statements:
- Nograles did not have any bodyguards that got killed due to politics.
- Paolo Duterte studied in Philippine Women’s College (PWC) in Davao and not in Ateneo de Davao.
- He was never a bodyguard to Paolo Duterte as confirmed by a schoolmate.
- PAOCTF was abolished in 2001 and not in 2002 thus there was no such meeting.
- Richard King was killed in Vital C office and not in McDo.
- There is no man named Matobato in CAFGU list as confirmed by the Philippine Army.
- Imagine 200 bullets riddled to a victim and still alive.
- Paolo Duterte was taking drugs and based his statement on looks and hearsay.
- Initially said he was a ghost employee by Davao City Hall and was receiving Php 3,000 per month but later changed it to Php 5,000.
- Initial questioning he revealed he killed 50 persons but later on he said it could be 1,000 or more.
- Mr Matobato said on 2003 then CHR Commission Leila Delima had a police operation to dig alleged graves and was planned to be ambushed (killed) but the now Senator Delima (who is the chairman of the senate inquiry on extra judicial killing) immediately corrected that it was 2009.
- He alleged that he was a ghost employee in Davao City Hall but at the same time works at the police arm office of the City Mayor and receives monthly wage but Commission on Audit and City Hall officials have already said there is no such ghost employee practices in the city.
- His confusing statement on who brought him to the Senate to become witness is also giving doubts to citizens. He said that it was a friend who urged him to the witness stand but when asked who, he had different answers.
- He said he does not have any cellphones, access to TV, newspapers, or radio; but… the wife of Richard King called him, but… when he was hiding in Pangasinan his unknown “friend” went to him to get him as witness.
- He said he killed a certain terrorist with a name, Sali Makdum. But such name cant even be Googled.
- He said “pinapark daw nila yung van na itim na ginagamit nila pang kidnapped sa GAISANO SUBDIVISION”, but there is no such subdivision with that name in Davao.
- He said he executed a notarized affidavit indicating all his revelations being a DDS before he took oath and became witness in the Senate, but that is another lie; there is no such affidavit. All his statement during the committee session is not legally binding but just for show.
The camp of President Duterte, particularly his cabinet members, has denied the allegations and said that the testimonies were all made up. According to Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Martin Andanar, the investigation of the existence of DDS has been concluded and no evidence were found to implicate the president.
Watch his full testimony during the senate inquiries below: