The local government of Manila announced class suspension in Manila Science High School (MaSci or MSHS) starting Thursday, March 23, due to mercury spill.
According to Manila City Health Office, the spill happened when a container of the toxic chemical was accidentally tapped by 2 students and 2 teachers while cleaning the school’s laboratory stockroom on March 11. The fire department has immediately isolated and sealed the leaked chemical.
According to the report by DZMM, the Manila government only knew about the incident last Tuesday after one of the teachers became sick and was found out to contain high level of mercury in her body.
The Department of Health (DOH) was alarmed of the incident and immediately alerted the Manila Health Office.
Class suspension was immediately announced by the city hall after learning the incident pending investigation of the incident.
Despite the late suspension of classes, the Manila health department assured that students were not exposed because the a lockdown of the stockroom was immediately done.
The resumption of classes is still indefinite, especially that the initial findings of the DOH showed high concentration of mercury.
The DOH tapped a private firm to clean up the mercury spill.
Mercury is a known neurotoxic chemical and may cause death if there is larger exposure.