The Department of Education (DepEd) released the DepEd Order (DO) No. 25, Series 2018 containing the DepEd School Calendar of Activities for School Year (SY) 2018-2019.
The school year kicked off with the DepEd reactivating the National Oplan Balik Eskwela (OBE) from May 21 to June 8, a program that aims to ensure that all learners are properly enrolled and able to attend school on the first day of classes. It addresses problems, queries and other concerns commonly encountered by the learners at the start of the year. A central command center was setup to receive and respond to concerns directly from the ground. Likewise the regional offices are also encouraged to set up their own command centers.
The DepEd will once again hold its “Brigada Eskwela” program which is scheduled from May 28 to June 2. With this year’s theme, “Pagkakaisa Para sa Handa, Ligtas, at Matatag na Paaralan Tungo sa Magandang Kinabukasan”, the “Brigada Eskwela” program enjoins all education stakeholders to participate and contribute their time, effort and resources to make public school facilities ready for learners’ use when the School Year (SY) 2018-2019 opens. The program is an annual cleanup effort initiated by the DepEd.
On June 4, classes on all public schools, elementary and high school, shall commence. As per DepEd, school opening in private schools shall be upon the description of its respective management and administrators, but it should not be set later than August 31, pursuant to Republic Act No. 7797 entitled An Act to Lengthen the School Calendar from Two Hundred (200) Days to Not More Than Two Hundred Twenty (220) Class Days.
DepEd Order No. 25, s. 2018: DepEd Calendar of Activities for School Year (SY) 2018-2019
DepEd released DepEd Order (DO) No. 25, s. 2018 which contain the department’s calendar of activities for Sy 2018-2019.
Bureau and Service Directors
Regional Secretary, ARMM
Schools Division Superintendents
Public and Private Elementary and Secondary School Heads
All Others Concerned
1. The School Year (SY) 2018-2019 shall formally open on Monday, June 4, 2018 and shall end on Friday, April 5, 2019. It shall consist of 208 school days inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training and the three days for the Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC) conducted within the school year. However, learners are expected to be in school for a total of 200 class days as shown in Enclosure No. 2.
2. Private schools may deviate from this School Calendar. However, they may not start classes earlier than the first Monday of June and not later than the last day of August, as provided in Republic Act (RA) No. 7797, entitled An Act to Lengthen the School Calendar from Two Hundred (200) Days to Not More than Two Hundred Twenty (220) Class Days. Said schools should notify in advance their respective regional offices (ROs) regarding any deviation from the school calendar.
3. The Implementing Guidelines on the SY 2018-2019 Calendar of Activities are provided in Enclosure No. 1 to enable the schools to effectively and efficiently implement the school events and activities. Likewise, the guidelines shall allow the ROs and the schools division offices to provide support to schools, particularly in the areas of instruction, and progress monitoring and evaluation.
4. Schools may observe national and local celebrations/activities and holidays other than those indicated in Enclosure Nos. 2 and 3, provided that the activities are beneficial to the teaching-learning process, and that the total number of class days shall not be compromised.
5. Make-up classes are recommended in lieu of class cancellations due to celebrations and holidays, as well as natural and man-made calamities. Mechanism for the conduct of make-up classes must be agreed upon by school heads and the Parent-Teacher Associations. In this regard, the ROs may issue a regional school calendar to announce and reflect their concerned events.
6. Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
LEONOR MAGTOLIS BRIONES
DepEd School Calendar of Activities for School Year (SY) 2018-2019
Below is the School Calendar for SY 2018-2019:
|Month||Activity||No. of School Days|
|May 21-June 8||Oplan Balik Eskwela|
|May 21-June 2||Brigada Eskwela|
|2||1st General Assembly and Parent-Teacher Conference (Sat.)||First Quarter: 48 days|
|4||Beginning of classes|
|12||Independence Day (regular holiday)|
|15||Eid’l Fitr (regular holiday)|
|Tentative||Early Language Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (ELLNA)|
|Tentative||Special Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT for Independence Day)|
|2-31||Deworming of School Children|
|9-10||First Quarter Examinations|
|18||Distribution of Report Cards and 2nd Parent-Teacher Conference||2nd Quarter: 48 days|
|21||Ninoy Aquino Day (special nonworking holiday)|
|22||Eid’l Adha (regular holiday)|
|27||National Heroes Day (regular holiday)|
|Tentative||National Career Assessment Examination for Grade 9|
|5||World Teachers’ Day|
|18-19||Second Quarter Examinations|
|22||Start of Sembreak||3rd Quarter: 52 days|
|22-26||In-Service Training for Teachers|
|27||Distribution of Report Cards and 3rd Parent-Teacher Conference|
|29||Resumption of Classes|
|Tentative||Accreditation and Equivalency Test (A&E)|
|1||All Saints Day (special non-working holiday)|
|2||All Souls Day (special non-working holiday)|
|Tentative||Administration of PEPT (regular)|
|Tentative||Basic Education Exit Assessment for Grade 12|
|30||Bonifacio Day (regular holiday)|
|22||Start of Christmas Break|
|30||Rizal Day (regular holiday)|
|Entire Month||Deworming of school children|
|2||Resumption of classes|
|10-11||Third Quarter Examinations|
|19||Distribution of Cards|
(Parent -Teacher) Conference
|4th Quarter: 60 days|
|Jan. 26 -Feb. 27||Early Registration for Kindergarten to Grade 12|
|Jan. 28-Feb. 1||National School Press Conference (NSPC)|
National Festival of Talents (NFOT)
|4-15||Supreme-Pupil Government/Supreme -Student Government Election (First to Second Week)|
|5||Chinese Lunar New Year’s Day (Special non-working holiday)|
|14-15||Fourth Quarter Examinations for Grades 6 and 12|
|21-22||Fourth Quarter for Grades 1-5 & 7-11|
|Tentative||National Achievement Test (NAT) for Grade 6 and 10|
|1-5||End of School Year Rites|
|5||Last Day of Classes for SY 2018-2019|
|9||Araw ng Kagitingan (regular holiday)|
|11-12||Distribution of Report Cards and 5th|
|15||Start of Summer Classes|
|18-19||Maundy Thursday and Good Friday|
|1||Labor Day (regular holiday)|
|Tentative||Oplan Balik Eskwela|
|24||End of Summer Classes|
|Total Number of School Days||208|
|Total Number of Class Days||200|