Filipinos and resident aliens will soon have a single and unified proof of identity after the bill to create Philippine Identification Systems (PhilSys), the government’s central identification platform, nears its passage into law.
The unified ID system aims to make government and private transactions easier, help deter criminality and improve the delivery services to the poor.
The initial features of the ID were revealed, however, are still subject to change.
Philippine National ID Features
The PhilSys ID card will contain vital information about the person’s identity:
- PhilSys number (PSN), a permanent identification number that will be assigned to every citizen or resident alien
- Full Name
- Facial Image
- Date of Birth
Philippine National ID Uses
- The PhilSys ID will serve as “one for all, all for one” ID that can be used to transact on several government agencies. It will eliminate the need to present other forms of identification in a wide variety of public and private transactions, services and derivative identity credentials.
- As proof of identity
- Used in application of services and benefits granted by the government
- Application for passports and driver’s license
- Admission to government hospitals
- Admission to private or public schools
- Bank and tax-related transactions
- Will make the identification of beneficiaries of unconditional cash transfers easier
The Philippine Statistics Authority to act as the PhilSys Registry, the repository of all data including the PSN, registered records and information of all individuals registered in the PhilSys.
PhilSys ID Application Requirements, Process and Fees
Requirements for Filipino citizens: Birth Certificates
Requirements for resident aliens: Proof of residence in the country
The initial application and issuance, as well as renewal of the national ID for Filipino citizens, will be FREE of charge.