Manila, Philippines – Typhoon Mangkhut, now named locally as “Ompong,” has slightly accelerated while maintaining its strength as it moves West.
In its latest tropical cyclone advisory, PAGASA said that Bagyong Ompong is moving at 30 kilometer per hour (kph) as it continues to threaten Northern Luzon.
At 4:00 AM today, the eye of Typhoon “OMPONG” was located based on all available data at 855 km East of Virac, Catanduanes (14.3 °N, 132.1 °E). It carries a maximum sustained winds of 205 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 255 kph.
Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal #1 is hoisted over the following areas:
- Mountain Province
- Nueva Vizcaya
- Quezon inc. Polillo Island
- Camarines Norte
- Camarines Sur
- Burias and Ticao Islands.
- Northern Samar
Winds of 30-60 kph may be expected in at least 36 hours or intermittent rains may be expected within 36 hours.
Fisherfolks and those with small seacrafts are advised not to venture out over the seaboards of areas under TCWS #1, and the northern seaboard of Northern Luzon and the eastern seaboards of Visayas and of Mindanao.
Forecast track and location:
- 24 Hour(Tomorrow morning): 645 km East of Casiguran, Aurora(15.7°N, 128.1°E)
- 48 Hour(Saturday morning):155 km East of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan(17.7°N, 123.2°E)
- 72 Hour(Sunday morning): 340 km West Northwest of Laoag City, Ilocos Norte (OUTSIDE PAR)(19.4°N, 117.6°E)
- 96 Hour(Monday morning):1,080 km West of Basco, Batanes (OUTSIDE PAR)(20.9°N, 111.6°E)
- 120 Hour(Tuesday morning):1,725 km West of Basco, Batanes (OUTSIDE PAR)(21.4°N, 105.4°E)
Meanwhile, select local government units have suspended classes due to the anticipated onslaught of the typhoon in their respective areas.